If you are looking for a fresh, show-stopping party dessert, look no further! These lawn mower cupcakes are a fun and summer treat that are great for dads or the outdoor-enthusiasts. They are incredibly fun to make and will wow at your summer part or barbeque.
Lawn Mower Cupcake Fun and Unique Summer Treats – PIN THIS!
Related: Snickers Cupcakes – Summer Party Treat for Candy Fans
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
DIRECTIONS FOR CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Grease muffin pan or line pan with cupcake liners.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs to the creamed butter, one at a time, beating well with each addition.
6. Stir in the vanilla extract.
7. Add half of the flour and half of the milk and beat well.
8. Add the remaining flour and milk and beat until well-incorporated.
9. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
10. Bake 15-17 minutes at 350 degrees or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
11. Let cupcakes cool in pan for 10 minutes.
12. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to finish the cooling process.
13. Ice the cupcakes when completely cooled.
INGREDIENTS FOR GREEN ‘GRASS’ ICING:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T vanilla extract
2 T cold milk
Green food gel
DIRECTIONS FOR GREEN “GRASS” ICING:
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter.
2. With an electric mixer on low, add half of the sugar until well blended.
3. Add the rest of the sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
4. Add food green gel until you reach your desired color of dark green grass.
5. NOTE: to thin icing, add 1 T milk and to thicken icing, add 1 T powdered sugar.
HOW TO MAKE ‘GRASS’ ICING ON CUPCAKES:
1. Fill 3/4 decorating bag with green icing and attach a Wilton #233 tip.
2. Hold the decorating bag straight up and squeeze to create a glass blade.
3. Immediately after squeezing pull up and away when the icing strand is about 1/2 inch. Stop squeezing and pull tip away.
4. Be sure to keep the strands together so none of the cupcake shows through.
5. NOTE: for a more natural grass look, you can pull the tip slightly to the left or right.
6. Visit Wilton’s website HERE for a video tutorial, if needed.
RICE KRISPIES TREATS
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Line a 13×9 pan with foil and spray with Pam. Set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal, salt and vanilla until well-coated.
5. Using a rubber spatula, transfer the cereal mixture to prepared pan and press down evenly.
6. Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely before cutting into even squares to resemble the base of a lawn mower.
Related: Spring Party-Friendly Carrot M&M Cupcakes Recipe
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE LAWN MOWER
Rice Krispie squares (cut from recipe above)
Mini Reese’s peanut butter cups
Leftover icing from cupcakes
1. Take a mini Oreo and spread a small amount of frosting on the back of the cookie and press firmly on the side of the Rice Krispie to resemble a wheel of the lawn mower.
2. Repeat step 1 three more times until you have 2 “wheels” on each side of the Rice Krispies square.
3. Cut a miniature peanut butter cup in half.
4. Spread a small amount of frosting on the front of the peanut butter cup and place on the Rice Krispies square to resemble the “motor.”
5. Take 2 bendable straws and cut them shorter to your desired height.
6. With a scissors, make a very tiny slit at the end of each straw to make it easier to push one end of a straw into the other one so they resemble the handle to a lawn mower.
7. Push both ends of each straw into the Rice Krispies square.
These cupcakes are also great for getting the kids involved. Let them loose over bowls with decorations, and watch their imaginations take flight!
This is the cutest idea for a cupcake that I’ve ever seen. I’ve got to try making these with my kids.
These are super creative cupcakes! I am going to have to make these for my uncle (inside joke!) 🙂
That is such a creative idea! Love how cute they are
OMG this is absolutely adorable! My boys love using their toy lawn mowers and I think they would absolutely love this treat. Pinning!
Omg! And the cutest cupcakes of all times award goes to you!!! I just love these. So very creative!!
Haha. That is super cute! You are so creative.
That is just too cute! If I had reason to (and wasn’t on a diet) I’d totally make these this summer!
Oh my… These are so freakin’ cute. How incredibly creative.
That just couldn’t be cuter! I think it would be perfect for so many summer parties and birthday parties too!
Those cupcakes are absolutely adorable! I love how creative they are – almost too good to eat!
This is just the cutest cupcake! I jope I can make it one of these days.
Truly unique and creative. Love them cupcakes. delicious!
I love this idea! It’s so unique and quirky but great for gardeners. I bet they taste good too x
Now THIS is super cute and creative. A lawn mower cupcake. I’m not even sure if I would need a reason to make or eat one of these besides how cute they are!