These Chocolate Chip Banana Bars: Healthy Kid-Friendly Treats are a cross between banana bread and a banana cookie. And they are very delicious. Kids will love them, it’s a healthier option than the typical pre-packaged snack cakes. Plus it’s a great way to use up bananas that have become too ripe.
Related: Apple Banana Muffin Recipe
3/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup mashed banana (2-4 bananas depending on the size)
2-4 whole ripe, ready to eat fresh bananas (for top garnish)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional and not used in this recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Grease a jelly roll pan (15x10x1)
3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter, white sugar and brown sugar on high for 30 seconds or until combined.
4. Add baking powder and beat until combined. Add egg, mashed banana and vanilla and beat until combined.
5. Add flour and beat until combined. Depending on the type of mixer, you may not be able to add all of the flour and have the mixer do all the work. You may need to pour in half of the flour and stir the remaining flour by hand. 6. Stir in chocolate chips.
7. Spread into baking pan and slice fresh bananas on top. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into bars. Makes about 36-40 bars.
Store in an airtight container and enjoy these delicious banana bars as an afternoon snack or anytime treat.