Nothing beats a simple, fresh, fruit-filled dessert. This homemade strawberry shortcake is made with a classic summer recipe in mind. Use fresh ingredients and don’t be stingy with the berries! It’s a truly refreshing summer treat that combines a thick, spongy cake with the sweet taste of strawberries. It will be perfect for a picnic or a summer backyard barbeque.
Strawberry Topping Ingredients:
16 oz. (or 1/3 bag of) Simply Balanced Organic Frozen Strawberries (48 oz.)
¾ cup Sugar
1 tsp. Monin Strawberry Syrup
½ tsp. Salt
2¾ cups Flour
1½ tbsp. Baking Powder
2½ tbsp. Sugar
2 Organic Eggs (beaten)
8 oz. Wallaby Organic Plain Greek Yogurt
¾ cup Organic Unsalted Butter (sliced into small blocks) or Shortening
1 tsp. Monin Vanilla Syrup
Whipped Topping Ingredients:
2 cups Whipped Topping (or you can make your own if you’re feeling frisky)
1 small handful Chocolate Mint Leaves
Set of 12 Simply Baked Oven-Safe Paper Baking Cups (approx. 2” x 2” x 2”)
1.Thaw strawberries. Slice into halves and add to medium mixing bowl. Stir in ¾ cup sugar and Monin strawberry syrup. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Add 2 tbsp. sugar, salt, flour, and baking powder to large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender (see in-process photo for reference), press room temperature butter into flour mixture.
4. Mix beaten eggs, Greek yogurt, and Monin vanilla syrup together. Combine with flour mixture. Stir just until all ingredients have been distributed evenly.
5. No need to grease baking cups. Simply place cups on a cookie sheet and distribute mixture equally.
6. Bake in oven for approximately 15 minutes. Check center with a toothpick to ensure the center is not mushy. Shortcake should be light golden. Remove from oven. Let cool.
7. Add strawberry topping over shortcake. Add a dollop of whipped cream and 1 to 2 chocolate mint leaves. You can also remove shortcake from cups and plate. Either way, this dish is a joy to eat!