With the arrival of the New Year, why not think about ways you can cut your household expenses? After all, what could be better than starting the New Year with more money in your pocket? If you are unsure about where to begin, take a look below at 25 ways to save money on household expenses. These tips are so easy to follow and implement that anyone can do them. Here is how you can get started!
25 Ways to Save Money on Household Expenses
1. Get caulking! Caulk windows so that warm air stays in and cold air stays out. Your furnace will in turn run less and save you cash.
2. Use a draft barrier. Fill a long tube sock with rice, tie it closed, and lay it along the base of your doors. It will also help keep cold air out and allow your furnace to run less.
3. Negotiate your cable bill. Call your cable company and let them know you are thinking about switching. See if they will offer you a more competitive rate.
4. Switch to generic. When deciding on groceries try to buy as many generic brands as you can. This will easily shave 10-20% off your grocery bill.
5. Use light timers. This way, your lights can be set to turn off when you know you won’t be home. This is an easy way to save energy and money on your electric bill.
6. Get a programmable thermostat. This way, you can set the thermostat to turn down when you know you won’t be home to use it. The end result is lower gas bills.
7. Join shopping clubs. Save money by buying paper products and other necessities in bulk at your local shopping club.
8. Switch to cloth. Eliminate paper towels and instead use cloth. You will save money and the environment.
9. Grow your own herbs. A window herb garden costs less than buying fresh herbs at your local grocer.
10. Learn basic sewing. You will be able to fix pillows, blankets, décor items, and clothing this way. Therefore, you can avoid buying new.
11. Bundle utility plans for a better deal. See if bundling your cable and internet is worth it. You might be able to save as much as 20%.
12. Get a water filter. This way you can enjoy clean water without buying bottled week after week.
13. Browse thrift stores. This is a great way to get home décor and household goods for less.
14. Hang dry clothing. Whenever possible hang dry clothing to avoid running the dryer and incurring a higher electric bill.
15. Be smart about your light bulbs. Use energy saving light bulbs to use less energy and lower your bills.
16. Create a weekly menu. This way you know what you are serving each night and avoid grabbing expensive carry out.
17. Drink more water. By doing so you not only improve your health, but you cut back on the expense of soda and other sugary beverages.
18. Take shorter showers. Set a timer if you need to in order to make sure showers are shorter, saving you cash.
19. Set a weekly budget. Set a weekly budget for fun stuff such as movies or dinner out. When the budget is used up, don’t partake in any of these activities until the following week.
20. Learn how to freeze/dry food. This way you can buy produce on sale and preserve it until you can use it.
21. Shop with coupons. This is one of the easiest ways to lower your weekly grocery bill and we have some great tips you can find at ‘Confessions of a Couponer: Real Ways to Save Money’ – 5 Couponing Tips from Cara Harrington
22. Follow money saving blogs and websites. You will be the first to know about hot deals, printable coupons, savings scenarios and more.
23. Try your own home repairs. For minor repairs, see if you can fix it first. YouTube is full of comprehensive instructional videos.
24. Cut out the cable if you can, or at least cut back your package. Instead, opt for a movie streaming service such as Netflix or Hulu.
25. Use the library. It is a great place to get movies, books, and even classes and activities for free!
When you give these 25 tips a try, you can enjoy lower household expenses in 2015. Browse this list and think about which tips you want to implement. You are sure to end up with more cash in your pocket!